Smoke Odor Damage and Your Business
Call The Professionals
What to Expect After a Fire
Fire and smoke damage is destructive and finding a restoration/mitigation company can be daunting. When it comes to fire and smoke damage restoration, SERVPRO professionals are trained and follow an extensive and thorough restoration process in order to get your home or business back to normal.
Each fire/smoke damage case is unique and is treated as such by SERVPRO professionals. SERVPRO professionals will compose a detailed plan to rid your property of smoke and soot damage. Smoke odor latches onto and penetrates the surfaces of walls, ceilings, clothes, upholstered furniture, books, electronics and more. It is crucial that all affected contents and surfaces are properly sanitized by professionals. Oftentimes it can be difficult to determine the source of the smoke odor. Experienced professionals know where to look for smoke and soot damage and how to best approach the restoration process.
If smoke damage is not taken care of by a professional, your property and its inhabitants may face greater damage. Smoke and soot can destroy the integrity of your home or business, damaging the ventilation system, air ducts, insulation, wall studs and even the framing/structure.
Different Smoke Odors
Cleaning smoke and soot damage yourself or using a basic cleaning service runs the risk of recurring smoke odor which can cause respiratory problems. Smoke odor can be harmful depending on what type of material was burned. Smoke that comes from wood framing causes a “campfire” smell which lets off acetic acid, benzene, carbon monoxide (CO), formaldehyde, formic acid, heavy metals, nitrogen-oxides (NO2), phenols, sulfur dioxide (SO2).
Cooking fire smoke is very difficult to remove and has a lingering smell of burnt animal fat/protein. Grease splatter from a cooking fire requires specific cleaning techniques that only a professional can provide.
When plastic is burned, it releases dangerous chemicals such as hydrochloric acid, sulfur dioxide, dioxins, furans and heavy metals, as well as particulates and are known to cause respiratory ailments which are potentially carcinogenic.
Fireplace wood fires also emits hazardous emissions, such as particulates, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), and other emissions that can be dangerous for health.
Who Are The Professionals?
SERVPRO provides 24/7 Emergency response. After the initial emergency call a crew of certified SERVPRO professionals will promptly respond to your fire damage and arrive onsite prepared to assess, plan and arrange resources to restore your home or business back to what it once was.
What Will SERVPRO Do?
Board Up and Security
Fires can destroy doors, walls and windows, leaving your property vulnerable to additional loss from weather or theft. SERVPRO professionals have the equipment and capabilities to provide board up for your home or business. Your home or business may need additional security. SERVPRO can also provide fencing or even security to oversee your property.
All damaged structural material is removed from the structure in order for the mitigation and restoration to take place. Demolition is a planned procedure, completed with the utmost care and strategy.
The local fire department will use fire retardants and water to extinguish the flames. SERVPRO will assess and examine the extent of damage to the structure, walls, ceilings, floors, ventilation/HVAC system and contents while composing a thorough plan for mitigation and restoration.
Clothes, upholstered furniture, books, electronics and more that are affected by smoke may be salvaged and sanitized. All affected items deemed salvageable are sanitized and deodorized using specialized solutions and equipment. Contents go through an extensive inventory process ensuring all items are accounted for and stored in a secure location.
Is Your Washing Machine Leaking?
Don't let your washing machine cause water damage in your home.
- Replace water supply hoses – Water supply hoses can become brittle and burst. Check them periodically and replace your old hoses with a new hose that consist of flexible plastic tubing encased in a stainless steel braided exterior. Purchase an auto-shut off hose protector that protects against catastrophic water damage by automatically shutting off. If excess water flow is sensed the water supply to the washing machine will turn off.
- Get a washer floor tray – Replace or repair your leaking washing machine right away to protect against future leaks, slide a water catching tray under your washing machine to catch drips and leaks. It’s an inexpensive way to prevent water damage to your floor from a leaking washing machine.
- Purchase a single-lever shut off valve – Turn the water off after each load of wash. Replace your dual faucets with a single-lever which control both hot and cold water simultaneously.
- Flood protection device – An automatic water leak detection device prevents flooding by immediately shutting off both the hot and cold water supply to the washing machine when sensors detect a water leak. These devices are quick and easy to install by homeowners and provide 24/7 protection against water damage caused by washing machine floods. Some flood protection devices sound an audible alarm.
- Automatic Washing Machine Water Shutoff Valve and Leak Sensor – The shut off valve protects against catastrophic water damage. It allows water to flow when it senses that the washing machine is turned on, and stops water from flowing if the machine is turned off. It also stops water from flowing if it senses excessive water flow or detects a leak.
Smoke Odor Damage
Areas of a Home Commonly Affected by Fire Damage
The level of damage varies depending on where a fire originated. An enclosed space typically will not have as much smoke damage as a large, open room with multiple appliances and a lot of wiring in the walls. Additionally, certain parts of a room may experience more damage than others.
Hot air rises, the highest concentration of smoke residue is commonly found directly above where a fire started - usually on the ceiling above the point of origin. Nail heads in the ceiling (and walls) can also attract smoke particles, which appear as an outline of a ring around them.
When smoke particles are ionized - or have an electrical charge - they are attracted to certain surfaces. Smoke produced by burning plastic carries a stronger charge than smoke from wood, paper or cotton. This causes smoke residue to form in clusters that look like cobwebs in the corners of rooms where walls and ceilings meet.
Walls & Windows
Windows and exterior walls are normally cooler than the center of a room and because smoke travels to areas with a lower temperature, it's common to find smoke residue on outside walls and in spaces behind drapes and blinds, even more so than surrounding surfaces.
If you notice a lingering smoke smell in your home or business call SERVPRO at 303-576-6868
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.
Do You Have Bed Bugs?
Signs of a Bed Bug Infestation
- Adult Bedbugs are the shape and size of an apple seed.
- After feeding, bed bugs defecate brown stains on porous surfaces.
- Bed bug bites may appear as red welts on the skin.
- Bed bug can be found on mattresses, box springs, headboards, footboards, bed frames and other furniture near a bed.
- Bed bugs are easily transported into previously non-infested dwellings
- Bed Bugs can be found in hotels, gyms, offices, schools and stores.
- Bed Bugs travel on bags, clothes and in vehicles.
Where Bed Bugs Hide
When not feeding, bed bugs hide in a variety of places. Around the bed, they can be found near the piping, seams and tags of the mattress and box spring, and in cracks on the bed frame and headboard.
If a room is heavily infested, you may find bed bugs:
- In the seams of chairs and couches, between cushions, in the folds of curtains
- In drawer joints
- In electrical receptacles and appliances
- Under loose wall paper and wall hangings
- At the junction where the wall and the ceiling meet
- Even in the head of a screw
- Since bed bugs are only about the width of a credit card, they can squeeze into really small hiding spots. If a crack will hold a credit card, it could hide a bed bug
Keeping a clean and uncluttered house can save you time and money by drastically decreasing your chance of bed bug infestation.
History of SERVPRO
From a small beginning as a painting business in Sacramento, CA, in 1967, SERVPRO has become one of the most recognizable names in the restoration industry. Within two years, owners Ted and Doris Isaacson used their expertise in the cleaning and restoration to expand their business offerings. Soon afterwards, they began to offer franchises and grew steadily so that by 1979, SERVPRO had 175 locations.
SERVPRO grew exponentially after relocating its headquarters in 1988 to Gallatin, TN, about 30 miles outside of Nashville. The Isaacsons moved the company there so that its headquarters could be located within 600 miles of half of the population of the United States. Since that time, SERVPRO has nearly tripled its size with over 1,700 locally owned and operated franchises across the United States.
SERVPRO remains a family-owned company, with the Isaacson’s eldest child, Susan Steen, as the company’s chief executive officer. Steen is joined by family members Randall Isaacson and Rick Isaacson as president and executive vice president, respectively.
Staff & Training
As a national company, SERVPRO has resources at its disposal that smaller, local companies may not have. These resources include a national staff that can help local franchisees with support in various aspects of running a business, that include human resources personnel, business analyst, customer service representatives, Quickbooks specialists, national accounts coordinators, marketing data analysts, property claims adjusters and vendor coordinators.
Franchisees receive support and special training from the moment they become part of the company. The first step is a 15-day training program at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility in Tennessee. The basic course covers fire and water restoration, mold mitigation and carpet and upholstery cleaning. Franchise employees can also take the 15-day training course but also have a separate self-paced program for certification in fire and water restoration, carpet and upholstery cleaning and crew training.
What’s more, SERVPRO provides its employees with plenty of ongoing training that includes web-based, self-paced e-learning modules that include video presentations and support materials. The company also offers credit and noncredit courses that cover the latest knowledge and techniques in emergency mitigation. Topics include water and fire damage restoration, restorative drying, mitigation awareness response and mold mitigation and restoration.
In addition, SERVPRO partners with the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) to provide year-round training classes that certifies employees to work in the restoration field. Courses for applied structural drying occur in the company’s purpose-built ASD training facility.
Do You Understand Mold Removal and Remediation ?
What’s the Difference?
Since microscopic mold spores exist naturally almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors, removing all mold from a home or business is impossible. Many restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold. We understand mold and mold growth.
When water intrudes into your property, mold growth can start in as little as 48 hours. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic, float along in the air, and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor, and that odor can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
The Mold Remediation Process
Every mold damage scenario is different and requires a unique solution, but the general mold remediation process stays the same.
- Mold Containment
- Air Filtration
- Removing Mold and Mold-Infested Materials
- Cleaning Contents and Belongings
Contact us at 303-576-6868
Has Your Rental Property Been Affected?
What Landlords and Property Managers Should Know
The number of houses and commercial buildings that are used for growing marijuana is increasing. As medical and recreational marijuana becomes legal in more states it also becomes legal to grow at home for certain people. Grow rooms are becoming more common & cause great damage and microbial growth if improperly built or operated.
How Can a Grow Operation Affect Your Property?
- Mold growth from inadequate ventilation causing high levels of humidity
- Incorrect wiring or overloaded circuits can result in a fire.
- Poor quality electrical work may lower resale value.
- Holes for ventilation and electrical access
- Damaged duct system from plant sap and high levels of humidity
Don’t Become The Victim
Should cannabis related issues arise after the lease has been signed and if there was no clause prohibiting it, you’ll need to rely on an anti-drug or crime policy that hopefully was included in the lease. A breach of the lease could be cause for eviction if the tenant doesn’t
comply after getting a written notice. If you did not include such a clause, it will be difficult to enforce your wishes during the term of the lease.
Call us at 303-576-6868
We provide results while minimizing the disruption to your business or home.
The Most Likely Causes of Flood Damage To Your Denver Home
Call SERVPRO for Storm and Flooding Problems in Denver
SERVPRO Advises on Water Diversion to Prevent Flooding of Your Home
Even though Denver might be the mile-high city, it has seen its fair share of torrential storms over the past few years. When the conditions got bad enough, it could tear down power lines and uproot trees. Out of all of these situations that could have caused severe damages to homes, and permit unrestricted access to high volumes of rainwater, perhaps the most common of circumstances behind this disaster was the improper maintenance of water diversion equipment.
Flood damage to your Denver home can be the result of some different scenarios that are out of your control, but one thing that you can always have direct control over is the functionality of your gutters, drain systems and stability of your foundation. Maintenance of these three areas can ensure that your home is the most prepared it can be for potential severe weather conditions.
One thing that our SERVPRO professionals often recognize when we are called out for flood damage restoration jobs is the condition of the gutter system. This equipment is the first line of defense that your house has against diverting excess water from your roof to an area well away from the foundation of your home. In many cases of flooding, however, the gutter system is clogged or disconnected, which allows water to flow freely against your house and into the critical area right around its foundation.
Another problem that our technicians often come across is faulty (or completely nonexistent) french drain systems. When water is allowed to get into the area closest to your foundation, this is a system intended to collect this water before the weight of the earth can build enough pressure to damage the structure or force the water through (and into your house). Our experienced SERVPRO team can help you to identify the functioning status of this system, or help you to determine if this is something that your home requires.
Your foundation should be adequately waterproofed. This process typically gets done through the use of a roll-on mastic or material to the exterior of your home, precisely where the structure rests below grade. Failure of this step could leave your wall vulnerable to penetration from the pressurized water.
If you are dealing with flood damage to your home, you can call SERVPRO of West Littleton / Sheridan. We are available at all hours of the day to help restore your home from the unforeseen disasters like this one. Call us anytime at (303) 593-1374.
Fall and Winter in the Mile High CIty click here
Accidents That Cause Water Damage To Your Denver House
Clogged Drains Cause Water Damage in Denver Homes, Call SERVPRO for Water Removal
A Small Mistake Can Lead to Major Water Spillage and Damage
Accidents are not always kind to the average homeowner. Something as simple as forgetting to turn off a faucet can have disastrous results to your Denver house. These unexpected and potentially damaging accidents are amplified considerably when there are young children in the home. Regardless of how it happened, you want to know how to clean up the mess it has left behind.
Water damage in Denver homes is not something uncommon, but it can very quickly put your life to a halt. Though you may return in a short time, this surplus of water can seep into your flooring can create a substantial mess. Even the most careful and diligent of homeowners cannot account for a brief bit of forgetfulness, and it can often require restoration services and water removal efforts.
The trouble with excessive water damages is that there are often issues that you cannot even see fully with the naked eye. Structural weaknesses in your floors or walls can be made exponentially worse with the presence of water, and these kinds of lasting damages are not always apparent. That is why giving our SERVPRO team a call can help you to keep total damages to a minimum and provide a peace of mind that you have seen the last of the trouble the accident created.
Fortunately, our SERVPRO emergency response team is available 24/7 to help you get your house back in order quickly and mitigate costs associated with the problem being allowed to get worse. Restoration is a process that begins with the removal of all of the water via wet vacs. Pumps are used if the volume of water exceeds the limitations of portable wet vac units, and then drying air movers are set up to remove all trace of lingering moisture from the incident altogether.
Accidents are just that: accidents. You cannot anticipate when they might happen or the potential damages they could do, but you do know who can clean up the messes they create. Give our team at SERVPRO of West Littleton / Sheridan a call anytime at (303) 593-1374.
Click here for more about The Mile High City.
Fire Damages Denver Home Undergoing Remodeling
When smoke and soot damages your home, contact SERVPRO to begin remediation and restoration efforts right away for best results.
SERVPRO Technicians Clean Up So That Your Project Can Proceed As Scheduled
During a rehabbing project a homeowner may expect problems, but understandably expects the issues to be ones of budget overruns or construction material backorders. When Denver contractors work on a number of different projects at the same time, errors in operation or judgment happen. Some mistakes or accidents can lead to disasters like a fire during a renovation.
Your home remodeling project halted abruptly due to fire damage in Denver when conductive heat came in contact with some combustible insulation while construction crews were welding. Compounding the event was the malfunction of the fire extinguisher initially used to smother the flames. The damage is a combination of scorched building materials and soot and smoke that invaded the rest of your home. Our fire damage crew can help with both.
Although frightening, the actual blaze and its immediate effects are relatively straightforward to remediate. Burned insulation switched out, chemical extinguisher foam cleaned up, and charred studs sealed or replaced quickly turn back time in your soon-to-be-remodeled room, permitting those jobs to move onward. You need the SERVPRO touch in areas of your home not receiving remodeling services.
It may seem odd that fire damage is worse so far from the site of the blaze, but that is the nature of smoke and soot. While the insulation smoldered and the fire extinguisher sputtered, the rest of your home received an unexpected and unwanted coating of residue and persistent smoky odors. It floats through the air, perhaps helped by an operating HVAC system. The particles spread and are highly corrosive. Unless we attend to it, your furnishings, fixtures, and structures, no matter how far from the fire, begin to deteriorate. SERVPRO technicians know how to remove fire residues safely and efficiently.
The smoldering fire in this type of situation generates a sticky coating. Unlike dry ash and light soot, this oily coating may need abrasive tools and scrubbing with special cleaners or solvents. SERVPRO team members are familiar with the various types of sooty residues and match the appropriate cleaners to them. Our deodorization experts then work on eradicating the harsh smell of melted insulation that pervades your home. We have a range of options available, including thermal fogging and hydroxyl generators that safely neutralize odor bearing particles.
SERVPRO of West Littleton / Sheridan has the answer when your remodeling project hits a wall. Remediate the effects of fire damage with our help by calling (303) 593-1374.
For more information about the City of Denver, Colorado visit: https://www.denvergov.org/content/denvergov/en.html